Tuesday, February 19, 2008

What ARE You Talking About?

I've built an entire blog around this thing I call the Healing Presence, but what is it?

The foundation of Healing Presence is that the compassionate presence is a positive act of healing.

And that means what, exactly?

In my work, I have experienced the power that comes when I am entirely present with another. This total presence means that I hold no expectation, intent or attachment to the outcome of our interaction.

This accommodates the development of a place of compassion and equanimity for the other, creating a nurturing space for that person to process and heal at the rate and manner that fits their preference and need.

The amazing and beautiful thing about the Healing Presence is that it creates an experience where both parties are fed by the interaction. I am so energized by my work. I am often asked if I need to "cleanse my energy" or if I feel drained by my work, but if I'm doing it right there should be no reason for a sense of burn-out and toxicity.

It doesn't mean that I'm never tired at the end of a long day, but I'm not perfect, and it takes some effort to remain that present and attentive, not to mention the fact that each session is unique and I am constantly drawing on all my resources to provide the best possible set of techniques and abilities to respond appropriately to the individual.

To me, the most important aspect of Healing Presence I can share with others directly confronts the furtive, surreptitious dangers of the ego and of investment in the end result of our interactions with others. This is the place where Healing Presence can be eroded most inconspicuously and most dangerously.

I am blown away by how profound, powerful, important and subversive this information is. I firmly believe that it is incredibly necessary.

What about this concept appeals to you? What venues or circumstances do you think this information would be useful in?

No comments: