Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Wabi Sabi



In the last week and a half I taught 3 different classes. I have no idea what I was thinking when I planned it that way. This past weekend I taught two one-day classes, neither of which anyone had every taught before. There was no template for these classes, not even a guarantee that the information was going to fall together in a way that made sense, was useful or even worthwhile.

Turned out, they were well thought-out, insightful, logical, and infinitely useful. I walked away Sunday night knowing that I'm really good at my job, and I want to do it a lot more.

I find myself trying to think of things to teach, places to teach them. What was very obvious to me during this weekend's classes is that there is a great deal of desire and need for the Healing Presence work.

Sunday's class was a Practitioner Study Group where I brought out a group of seemingly unrelated concepts that I have had influence my understanding and practice of Ortho-Bionomy. My intent was to introduce these divergent concepts was to inspire others to being open to influences from other places in their lives. They included such things as Newtonian laws of motion, the movie "Cold Comfort Farm", and fractals.

Healing Presence concepts crept into everything I teach, but when they really came to the forefront when I wandered into Japanese aesthetics, specifically Wabi Sabi. Given the fact that both Wabi Sabi and HP have their roots in Buddhism, I guess this is really no surprise. Wabi Sabi is an aesthetic appreciation of the transient nature of things. It is an understanding that as soon as things come into being they begin to decay, and that there is need for the appreciation for the marks left by living.

I believe that by entering into a relationship with an old or chronic injury with an appreciation for the wabi sabi nature of it, it responds more readily than when it is approached in an adversarial manner. Consider that the next time you think of your "bad" hip or your "trick" knee.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello,nice post thanks for sharing?. I just joined and I am going to catch up by reading for a while. I hope I can join in soon.