Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Things That Bug the Crap Out Of Me - Part 1

I have decided that it might be interesting to examine things that get on my nerves and, by examining them, learn more about equanimity and compassion. Please be warned; they are bound to be stupid. Embarrassingly so. The things that get on our nerves rarely deserve the energy we give them.

The first one, in no particular order of gravity, irritation-induction, or importance, involves the new Dyson hand-dryers being installed in public restrooms. Does anyone NOT hate those electric hand-dryers in the restrooms? They just don't work worth a damn. The Airblade does. I was so profoundly impressed with these things. They work. Well. Really well. So what's my issue?

So the problem itself is not the dryers; it is the people who use them. They work very simply. You stick your hands in and then slowly pull them out and the dryer works like an air squeegee. Genius, no? Directions are posted and worded clearly above the dryer. So why do people try to use them incorrectly? Here's this beautifully designed solution to a problem and people can't be bothered to learn how to use it properly. Of course, it then works no better than the old-style dryer. Let me be clear, this issue does not keep me up at night or raise my blood pressure appreciably. It just bugs me.

Now, I didn't design the Dyson Airblade; why do I care whether or not people use it or appreciate it appropriately? I think the things that I find irritating are:
  1. Here is a product which does not look at all like the product it is replacing. There is a pervasive lack of curiosity that is made apparent here,
  2. There is no appreciation for good industrial design - both in the aesthetic and practical senses,
  3. There is no gratitude that someone designed something that will make YOUR life better, addressing an inherently problematic and pervasive item we all encounter.
That probably boils it down for now.

Okay, let's break it down:
  1. I feel a kind of compassion for those who, for whatever reason, live their life without the capacity for curiosity. Perhaps they are overwhelmed by other problems in their lives. Maybe they were raised in an environment in which curiosity was firmly discouraged (it happens - sad but true). Whatever the reason; I can allow my heart to soften in relationship to these people because I realize that their circumstances are deficient and I wish them better.
  2. I don't know what to do about this one.
  3. How do I know what their feelings about the Airblade? This is a hyper-dramatization of the story I have started in my own head about these people. I have used the momentum of my indignation to wind myself up and used this as fuel for the fire of self-righteous thrills.
There. I feel better all ready.

So, like my friend Dennis Cass who is trying to help people become more awesome in their contributions to culture (primarily writing), I'd like to help people cope better with life. Is there something bugging the crap out of you? Would you like me to help you defuse it in a way that creates compassion and takes the energy out of it?

Send your pet peeves to me and we'll see what we can make of them.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

OK...a thing that I REALLY hate is when some dude puts a finger over one nostril and snorts out snot onto the sidewalk or street from the other. Just plain hawking(the slang for spitting a wad of any sort??) in public is the bigger dimension.

Unknown said...

Ok. something that moves me into rageful disgust is when someone spits or snorts mucous onto a sidewalk or street.