Thursday, September 24, 2009

Ungrateful Pre-Teens?

So I've been using this "Gratitude Log" on line (yes, I know I could use a "real" journal - but then, would I?) for about a 4-5 weeks now. Well, frankly, not every day - but often, more than once a week.

I saw this article about how researchers at UC Davis did a study where they had people write journals recording a variety of things. Some of them wrote down things they were grateful for and those people were measurably happier, nicer and more considerate of others, more likely to complete long term goals, and a bunch of other good stuff.

I have been giving it a try, and I have to say, I think it might have some good long term benefits for me. It remains to be seen.

The thing that interested me was that I heard an interview on public radio this morning (I believe the larger topic involved parenting research) and they talked about how someone followed up with using gratitude journals with middle school kids - perhaps those most in need of it. As someone who has been using a gratitude journal and the parent of a middle schooler, I listened intently. It turns out, they got statistically NO benefit from the exercise. They really are a completely different species for a few years, as it turns out.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is useful to try everything in practise anyway and I like that here it's always possible to find something new. :)

Anonymous said...

i very adore your writing taste, very useful.
don't quit as well as keep creating in all honesty , because it just simply very well worth to read it,
impatient to looked over a whole lot more of your articles, goodbye :)

Anonymous said...

hey everybody

I figured it would be a good idea to introduce myself to everyone!

Can't wait to start some good conversations!

-Marshall

Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, that was extremely valuable and interesting...I will be back again to read more on this topic.

Anonymous said...

Sweet blog, I hadn't come across becominghealing.blogspot.com previously during my searches!
Carry on the fantastic work!

Anonymous said...

I don;t know how you find the time to write so well but here is a little something

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig. :)



http://blog.catherinedelors.com/in-the-footsteps-of-gabrielle-the-queens-bedchamber

Anonymous said...

Greetings,

I have a question for the webmaster/admin here at becominghealing.blogspot.com.

May I use some of the information from this post right above if I provide a backlink back to your website?

Thanks,
Alex

Kate said...

I have moved by blog to: www.thehealingpresence.com/blog

I'd love to have you join me there.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the excellent post ? I loved reading it!

Anonymous said...

Hello! I know this is somewhat off topic but I was wondering if you knew where I could get a captcha plugin for my comment form? I'm using the same blog platform as yours and I'm having difficulty finding one? Thanks a lot!

Anonymous said...

Get in our website and read more about

[url=http://www.aretuza.pl/hmb-c-138.html] HMB[/url]

Anonymous said...

I had this article saved some time in the past but my computer crashed. I have since gotten a new one and it took me a while to come across this! I also really like the design though.

Kate said...

Like what you've read? Join me at the my blog location on my website at http://thehealingpresence.com/the-healing-presence-blog/ for more recent blogging activity.

Kate said...

Again, at the risk of being repetitive, I want to direct you to my new blog url:
http://thehealingpresence.com/the-healing-presence-blog/

If you made a comment and it is just now posted, it went into a spam folder I didn't know to check. Thanks so much for your interest.